Friday, June 14, 2013

My encounter with my heart

Bangalore episode 

It was Friday 31 May 13 , 00:30 hours , "Evan almighty" movie was reaching its climax. 



Its a strange feeling, as I stood up from the bean bag I felt that world around me is literatly revolving me, heavy sweeting, anytime I was above to throw out.I realised that not everything is all right. thinking about the andra meals that I had that night, I walked outside of my home to get fresh air. It was awesome climate that time, little drizzling cold wave, but I don't had time to enjoy nature. As time goes, the situation got worst. So, I decided to go to hospital. 

Hospital contact numbers are not handy, so pulled my iPad and browsed. Thanks to google, it gave the number. Yes, it was ringing. Then heard automatic voice message something like "press 1 for doctor's appointment, press 2 for bill desk ..." At last an operator took the phone

Me : madam I need a ambulance immediately

Operator: sir, I will connect you to the driver directly and you can ask him to come to your location

And then operator connects and no where I can find the driver of the ambulance. Again the call came back to operator 

Me : madam I am not able to speak to driver 

Operator : sir, can you take down the cell number of ten driver. 

My patients hav limits, I said, " madam, I am the patient here and I am alone at my home, this is not the time for your drama" ... 

This time driver picked up the phone and in next 20 minutes, our ambulance reached hospital.

I got down and walked to the emergency area, but noticed still the doctors and nurses were looking at the ambulance. Oh, then I realised that they were expecting more serious patient. Then I said them I am the one who need their attention. 

Walking into the emergency room, I went and sat on the bed I had chosen. Few nurses came around and started asking what happend. Yet I don't see a doctor. After few minutes, I saw a lean, beautiful lady doctor approaching me. She was very kind. She instructed her staff to take ECG, blood samples etc., 

On seeing the ECG report, her face changed. She asked to take another ECG to confirm. But now she is confident with her assumption . Yeah, it was something to do with cardiac arrest. My BP went as high as 190 , 100 ... She had instructed to move me to ICU . Now the funny story starts..

One young boy came and asked me whether I am going to pay or insurance company, I said I will do it. 

I was lieing down on bed and was not sure why I was not shifted to ICU. My lady doctor is still on phone, getting instruction from her boss. 

Then someone woke me up and showed me a paper, I was shocked. It was the room rent details. He wanted me to choose which room I can afford. I wanted to slap him, but not had enough strength. I choosed one. Then he asked my card for deposit. I gave my debit card. Then in 5 minutes, he returned , saying the card machine is showing some error and asked my credit card. I gave mine. That doesn't work either. My lady doctor got upset for good reason and said that the patient is alone and asked them to do the procedures later. 

It's 3 am , Friday 

Now things started moving the way I would have expected. I was hooked up with oxygen, moved to ICU. Dressed like a really patient in his death bed. The stage is set. She came and said that they believe that I have a block in my heart and they want to proceed with angiogram to detect any blockage. I connected her with my uncle who is a doctor. They both agreed and me too. 

Looks like without any relative or friend signature, they can't start the angio procedure.so, I called my friend for rescue. I can see a shock in his face on seeing me. All procedures set. Heart surgeon arrived. I was transported to operation theater. I see all people around me in full swing. My face got brighten after seeing GE logo on the screens and instruments. All it took was 10 minutes, approximately 1 to 2.5 meter probe to go to my heart and highlight the vains. I hear doctor praying at my bed side. I wish that I was not the first one that he want to try. But at the end his voice is loud and clear " it is error" .. I am clueless on what it was meant, until when the nurse came and said that there is no cardic blockage . And my heart is perfect. Now I can't move my right leg as the angio is performed there. I was bed ridden for next 24 hours. 

What next, it is now 8 am, Friday 

I had my breakfast with the support of a nurse. Now all my friends started pouring in. I am excited to see them. Now I have to wait for neuro opinion. Since it is not heart, they want to check my brain, Hopefully they should find one. 

CT scan done, everything is normal. Got discharged ...after one week of rest in Bangalore...we decided to go to chennai and take second opinion


Chennai episode 

Reached chennai on 07 June 13

Took every test possible... Atlast my uncle found that it was typiod which causes the situation on 31 may. 

Damn, it is just , well familer typhoid ... now thinking about what me, my family and my friends need to go through in last 10 days ... Well the hospital in Bangalore took very very conservative step , less risk for them.... 

will take this as a warning to take care of little machine inside me ... 

Cheers 

SK 





3 comments:

ms said...

Good to know you have a healthy heart :)

Unknown said...

sundara.. glad that you are well.. Now get fit by coming with me to gym..:-).. See you on Monday..

JustJoeP said...

Sundar my friend, I am delighted you had a fully charged mobile phone with connectivity. How badly the outcome might have been if you were out of the city and lacking an internet connection! Please take good care of your health, and leave nothing to chance or risk. If one does not have his health, then nothing else matters.

It is interesting to see that even in India, where universal health care is available, that the Hospitals are sadly focused on costs and ability to pay, similar to how they are in the US. The first day in the ICU when my son was recently sick the accountant came into the room demanding to know how the state run Hospital would be paid - with zero universal health care here in the US. It goes to show that "you get what you pay for" - I am glad you are having a full recovery.

I second Kamal Nayan's invitation, and encourage you to please take some time out of your busy day for exercise, yoga, meditation. Caring for one's health is never selfish, or narrow minded, as it enables one to help others. =)